Friday, September 10, 2010

Am I a Good Father?

Am I a good father? I ask myself that a lot. I bet just about every father does. I think I ask myself that every day. I think you have to ask yourself that to be a good father. I always wonder if I am doing the right thing, but I think I am on the right track. Maggie is a healthy, well taking care of baby. She gets everything she needs. She always will.

I learned a lot of what not to do about being a good father growing up. Not that my father was a bad father, he just wasn't around a whole lot due to my parents divorce and living in another state in another time zone (have I mention I hate the eastern time zone? Everything comes on so late there). He also passed away when I was a teenager, so I didn't get a whole lot of advice as I got older. I only saw him twice a year for about a week each. I wasn't always a fan of going the visit him, he was a different man after his stroke. The only good advice I remember him giving me is "smoking weed will make you forget shit so don't do it" and "go to college and get an education". I listened on both. Although, I am a little late on the second one. Only fifteen years.

My wife says I am a good father which means a lot to me. Every since my princess was born I always tried to be the best father I could be. I always will be. I have learned from my mistakes and will continue to do so. Being a father is not the easiest thing to be some times. But it has its rewards. I just hope when they have kids they tell me I did a pretty damn good job.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment