Friday, March 11, 2011

Why We Cloth Diaper.

Why do we cloth diaper? I don't believe I have actually ever explained why we cloth diaper. This is a post I have been meaning to write for some time time. It is actually quite simple, at least for me. My wife thinks a little different than I do, but not by much though.

I cloth diaper because of health issues. Nothing serious, its just that my daughter inherited my very sensitive skin. By sensitive I mean I can lightly scratch my skin and there will be a red mark for hours. My skin will react to different fabrics (and the chemicals they contain) and different detergents. Hell my skin is so sensitive, my Irish ass has already had skin cancer once (not that diapers cause that). We do keep disposable on hand just in case someone comes over who is unfamiliar with cloth diapers. Now Maggie will get some diaper rashes, but not a lot and the may take time to develop. I have seen Maggie get a diaper rash from one disposable diaper. Less diaper rashes equals less butt paste to put on Maggie. I for one am happier with using less chemicals. We even us cloth wipes with a natural solution to use on Maggie.

My wife's reason to cloth diaper is more of a cost cutting measure. Yes we have saved money. A lot of money by cloth diapering. Would be a lot more if we had our own washer and dryer, but we live in an apartment and have to pay for our laundry. I hate picking up quarters from the bank, but it has to be done. Other than paying for laundry, I do not dislike cloth diapering at all. Sure sometimes folding it stinks but it is much better than running out at 2am in the middle of a blizzard to get diapers.

Before Maggie was born we decided to cloth diaper (I originally suggested it, now the wife is hardcore more than I am). We even paid to take a class to learn all about them. Oh we learned all about them all right. I thought we'd still be soaking them and pinning them on with those old diaper pins. Wow have they have advanced. I never knew there was so much out there. We are both glad we took this class, because there is a lot to know.

I guess what it comes down to friends is that we are kinda old fashioned. We like it that way. Sure we try to eat organic (can be very expensive at times), but we don't always. I am typing this with a box of Thin Mints next to me (hey it goes to a good cause, ok the F'n delicious). We try the best we can to be healthy, but we aren't a 100%. I have changed a lot of things myself since Maggie was born. Hell I have switched to all natural charcoal and no lighter fluid has ever touched my smoker. Do I regret ever becoming more heath conscious and cloth diapering? Not in the least bit. I like the way I am, and I don't judge people who are different to me.

I honestly think cloth diapering is win win. We save money and Maggie stays healthier.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought I would cloth diaper. I remember my mother telling me that they tried cloth diapering with me (I was the first of three) for about a week and that was it. But in "those days" (aka the 1980's) it was a piece of cloth and some safety pins. I don't have kids (yet) but my hubby and I have been talking about using cloth when the day comes. One question (because I have seen different opinions) did you cloth from day 1 or wait until she was a bit older?

    ReplyDelete